In this article I will try to explain how I choose avocados for my guacamole recipes. Since avocado is the main ingredient a lot depends on the choosing the right one. I think you need the same ripe avocados for other foods that contain them like smoothies, salads etc… so this is actually a general how to buy avocados guide.
The first thing you do is look at the avocados. The ones that are the most shiny, fresh looking and green are not ripe enough. The look nice but you will have to wait for a week or so for them to ripen. If you do buy an avocado that is not yet ready then a good way for them to ripen quickly is to store them in a paper bag. Do not put them into the refrigerator. Avocados are often like this because they are usually picked when they are still hard and then shipped to non-local markets. They do this because shipping takes time and they survive it better if they are still hard. Tree-ripened fruits would be the best, but they are difficult to find.
How do you know then if the avocados are ripe enough and ready for a tasty guacamole?
Avocado should be undamaged, without any black spots, dark green and NOT shiny.
Pick it up and gently press on the skin. It should be soft but not squishy – ripe avocados should have a little give, but still feel firm. It should feel the same way as if you would press on a stick of butter or margarine. If they are too hard or too squishy they are either over or under ripe. You want them to be so soft that you can mash them with a fork.
This is it and this is the way to buy avocados.
Please, rate this recipe...
Leave a comment
Super Bowl Guacamole Recipe
Search Recipes By Ingredients
Things You Need To Make Guacamole
Last Guacamole Recipes
- Simple And Quick Guacamole Recipe With Pictures
- Grilled Guacamole Recipe
- What Is Molcajete? – Guacamole Tips
- Using A Blender? – Guacamole Tips
- Qdoba Mexican Grill Guacamole Dip
- Rosa Mexicano Guacamole Recipe
- Guacamole Recipe With Salsa For A Spicy Kick
- How To Make Guacamole
- Guacamole Recipe with Cilantro
- Jamie Oliver Guacamole Recipe
- The Best Homemade Guacamole Recipe
- Healthy Guacamole Recipe
- How To Choose Avocados For Guacamole?
- Avocado guacamole recipe
- Guacamole Recipe With Sour Cream
- Authentic Mexican Guacamole Recipe
- The Absolute Best Guacamole Recipe In The World
- Guacamole Dip Recipe
- El Torito Guacamole Recipe
- Guacamole Recipe With Mayonnaise
- Vegan Guacamole Recipe
- Traditional or Classic Guacamole Recipe
- Dos Caminos Guacamole Recipe
- Simple And Easy Guacamole Recipe
- Green Pea Guacamole Recipe
- Delicious Low Calorie and Low Fat Mango Guacamole Recipe
- Chips and Guacamole Recipe
- Spicy Guacamole Recipe
- Blue Cheese Guacamole Recipe
- Spanish-style Guacamole Recipe
- Guacamole Recipe with Cream Cheese
- Guacamole Dip With Cumin
- Delicious Garlic Guacamole Recipe
- Quick Guacamole Recipe
- Chunky Guacamole Recipe
- What Is Guacamole?
- The Origin Of The Word Guacamole